As a WooCommerce user myself, I've experienced the benefits that come alongwith this handy e-commerce tool. Among the varied WooCommerce features, the Product Variations utility is a must-try. So, if too have been planning to implement the same for your WooCommerce retail store lately, then this is a tutorial meant for you.
What will this tutorial talk about?
Assuming that you're already familiar with the highly effective WooCommerce benefits; in this tutorial, I'll be highlighting some interesting details about the 'Product Variations' feature which has been making grounds in the world of WooCommerce enabled e-commerce websites.
Understanding Variable Products
Variable products are basically the variations available for a specific product. For example, T-shirt is a variable product. That means, a t-shirt is available in a variety of colors and sizes.
So, let's start with explaining different steps associated with leveraging Product Variations feature for your WooCommerce-enabled e-store.
Step 1 - Set a product type to 'Variable' for the product you want to offer variations for
For this, just go to your WordPress admin dashboard-> Products--> Add a Product and select the value for Product Data as 'Variable'. Once you're done with making the selection, you'll notice a change in user interface as shown in below screen-shot:
Step 2 - Define attributes for the variable product
Now, you'll be required to define the attributes for the variable product. For this, simply go to WP admin dashboard-> Products-> Attributes tab. A page similar to this one would be displayed:
On clicking the 'Add' button displayed on the above screen, you'll be redirected to a new page as shown below:
Here, please note that the values assigned to attributes will appear as options for the respective variable product. Once you're done with defining the attributes, select the 'Variation' checkbox for each attribute. This will inform WordPress that the attributes belong to the variable product.
Step 3 - Start adding variations
Now that you've saved the variable product, you can proceed ahead with adding variations for the same. For this, simply go to WP admin dashboard-> Products-> Variations tab and finally click on 'Add Variation' button. Here is the screen-shot for the same:
Have a look at the information that can be provided for each product variation:
- Image - You can click on image icon to use an image uploader for choosing a suitable image for the variable product.
- SKU(Stock Keeping Unit) - Allot a value to this attribute or choose to leave it blank wherein it would take up the value of the variable product.
- Weight - Use this to enter the weight for the variation or else leave it blank wherein the field will get auto-populated with the weight of the variable product.
- Dimensions - Use it to specify the dimensions for variations or else leave it blank to use the variable product's dimensions.
- Price - User this to specify a basic price for the product.
- Sale Price - Use this to specify the sales price for the product.
- Downloadable checkbox- Select it if you want to specify that the variation is a downloaded product. Further, you can enter the downloadable file's URL as well as the permissible download limits.
- Virtual checkbox - Use this to specify that the variation is virtual.
- Enabled checkbox - Just de-select it for making the product variation un-available for users.
- Shipping Class - Set a new value for the shipping price of variation in case the same differs from the one applicable to the variable product.
- Tax class - Use this to set the tax class as 'standard' or a custom tax band.
After specifying values for each product variation, click on 'Add Variation' button. With that you're done with displaying variations for the variable product in the front-end.
Bulk Editing- An effective 'Add-On'
If at some point of time, you feel the need for editing different values assigned to product variations, you don't have to feel jittery because WooCommerce has a utility for that as well. The 'Bulk Editing' dropdown provided above the 'Add Variations' form allows you to edit everything ranging from product prices, stock quantity and weight to dimensions and a lot more. Here is the screen-shot for the 'Bulk Editing' utility:
Variable Product- How does it come out in the front-end?
When it comes to viewing a variable product in the front-end, your users will be able to see a dropdown list for each one. He/she can then select the options(the ones added in step 2) available for the variable product and click on 'Add To Cart' button to make a purchase.
Product Variations are excellent tools to provoke your visitors for purchasing a product they're interested in. I hope the above coverage would aid you in wooing the group of customers which wants to buy a particular product but tends to drive away due to lack of permutations.