Once you’ve started reading this post, the question - who wins the Shopify vs Wix vs Squarespace battle - is really something you do not know. Is Squarespace better than Wix? Why is Wix popular? Just keep reading to find the answers to the most important issues!
Why should you even bother with the difference? Choosing the right platform for online business has many consequences - both short- and long-term ones. First off, by making the right choice, you can save lots of time. In the long perspective, you'll benefit from great functionality. If you've succeeded - you are happy and prosperous, once failed - you'll suffer until you migrate to another platform.
Continue reading and get to know the difference between Shopify vs Wix vs Squarespace regarding:
Shopify vs Wix vs Squarespace: Key Facts
Wix, Squarespace, and Shopify have much in common: all the three platforms are absolutely easy-to-use and extremely user-friendly. There is no need to have any tech skills to launch and manage an online store. All you have to do is to register an account. Moreover, do not worry about any technical aspects - with hosted solutions they are taken care of.
Squarespace is very easy-to-use. It was designed for blogging and currently allows selling products after connecting payment processor.
Shopify was initially designed as an eCommerce platform for launching online stores. This is it! The major difference between the three solutions - Shopify helps to sell online and offers advanced eCommerce capabilities by default.
What is the difference between Wix and Squarespace?
Both Wix and Squarespace were initially created as website builders. Due to its intuitive design, Wix is an ideal solution for beginners. It lets you establish an online store just within a few clicks. Squarespace, on the other hand, will suit creative people who are willing to spend some time on the store's design.
Let's dive into the three platforms' functionality comparison to get more details!
Shopify vs Wix vs Squarespace: Ease of Use and Ongoing Maintenance
Wix, Squarespace, and Shopify are the three solutions that are user-friendly and easy to maintain. Most importantly, you do not need any particular tech skills to make the necessary configurations. Wix comes as the easiest and would be great for beginners. The latest version of Squarespace is much simplified if compared to the previous one and requires no effort to launch. Shopify is easy-to-use with an intuitive interface. Above all, managing the web-store is effortless with Shopify. Also, with hosted solutions, there is no need to take care of updating. You can concentrate on your business and not dive into technical aspects.
Choosing hosted solutions for selling online is like buying a house. You pay for the building and customize it the way YOU like. Paint the walls, set security, get it furnished, order devices to make life comfortable, etc. What's more, you avoid all the hassle of creating something from scratch. Opting for a hosted shopping cart for a store is virtually the same - you have the structure and personalize it taking care of the nuances.
Shopify vs Wix vs Squarespace: Themes and Templates
As for the templates and designs, there is no clear winner in the competition between Wix vs Squarespace vs Shopify. All of them have fabulous, elegant, up-to-date and responsive designs adapted to different gadgets.
Wix suggests 700 stylish templates that are very creative and professionally-looking. Sometimes it is even impossible to decide which one to choose - all of them look appealing.
The number of Squarespace templates is a bit lower (40 designs), their quality is high and they are responsive. Moreover, it is possible to personalize them to the fullest. Squarespace offers an option of Cover Pages, and it might raise your webpage to a new level of style.
With Squarespace, you'll receive high-quality designs. Depending on the chosen template, you'll get many impressive visual effects in play, including parallax scrolling and text that gracefully fades in and out when users scroll through a site.
Shopify has over 70 designs both free and premium ones. They are stylish, elegant, and more customizable than Wix and Squarespace. The paid themes' price varies from $140 to $180. Usually, it is a one-time payment that will benefit you a hundred times in the long run. However, if your budget is limited, there are great, responsive free templates that will be a smart alternative here.
Shopify vs Wix vs Squarespace: Design Customization
Wix is fairly flexible. It has some restrictions on customization peculiar to hosted solutions, except Shopify. The main issue you might face with Wix is that once you choose a theme, you will not be able to change it. But Wix comes as a great option for portfolio web pages, small businesses, and personal blogs. In these cases, the option of changing design might not be crucial. Once you are satisfied with the chosen template, the additional features of Squarespace and Shopify might be unnecessary.
Squarespace allows editing CSS and only certain bits of HTML. Moreover, Squarespace support team reserves the right not to sustain you fully if you edit CSS of your website.
Among the three Shopify is the most flexible as it gives you full control over HTML and CSS of your website. You'll be able to create a unique site.
Level up your e-store right now!
Move to Wix, Squarespace or Shopify with Cart2Cart securely & trouble-free. No tech expertize is needed.Migrate now
Shopify vs Wix vs Squarespace: Apps & Extensions
Wix App Market has a variety of advanced tools. They enable you to add functions to the store(booking, testimonials, pricing tables, email marketing). The majority of apps are 1-click installs. What's more, they all perfectly integrate with Wix.
Squarespace, contrarily, has a small marketplace. But all the extensions there are eCommerce related. The 3rd party plugins can’t guarantee the security and high-level quality. Users often complain about this issue on the eCommerce forums. Once you feel that the 3rd party plugins puts the security of the whole website at risk - you can always migrate your store from Squarespace to Shopify or move from Squarespace to Wix Stores using our app recommended by Wix.
Shopify App Store has impressive number of extensions (over 1,200). Most of them help to boost sales and create effective marketing campaigns. There are apps on optimization your order and inventory management, enhancing payments and security, advanced analytics, etc.
Shopify vs Wix vs Squarespace: Pricing
Wix pricing is fair. There are 4 payment plans to choose from. But only two of them - Vip and eCommerce - enable you to launch an online store.
To get started go to Wix official website.
Both Squarespace and Shopify have a 14-days free trial option. It is an excellent opportunity to check whether a particular platform will suit your needs and expectations.
Squarespace offers 4 plans to choose from. The price comes a bit higher than average on the market. Once you check the capability, the platform offers you'll see that pricing is fair.
If you are ready to build a store with this solution, start Squarespace free trial now.
Shopify has three pricing plans, and you can save up to 20% if you choose a 1- or 2-years subscription. All the plans enable selling unlimited products and using the advanced eCommerce functionality - Facebook Store/ Facebook Buy Button/ Pinterest Buy Butto / Twitter Buy Button/ Point of Sale, etc.
Shopify vs Wix vs Squarespace: Payment Gateways
Once you own an e-store, the range of most popular payment gateways is simply a must. When your clients decide on a purchase, they should have all the means to transfer the money. In this aspect Shopify comes as a lucky ticket offering over 100 different payments gateways, including the most popular one - PayPal.
Wix offers 30 payment gateways. Squarespace, contrarily, has a restricted number of payment providers and cooperates only with Stripe and PayPal.
Shopify vs Wix vs Squarespace: eCommerce Functionality
The website builders Wix and Squarespace offer users all the basic functionality necessary for eCommerce (e.g., sales channels, product options, and variants, abandoned carts, multi-currency, etc.). But keep in mind that you'll need to upgrade to a Business plan with Squarespace and Business Basic or higher with Wix.
Shopify allows your website to grow with your business. There is no need to pay for the advanced eCommerce features you do not need. You can add them once they are necessary. Shopify is the strongest with high-tech functionality, feature-packed solutions with a vast set of advanced tools. Shopify also has much to offer you out-of-the-box:
- Selling unlimited products
- Full blogging platform
- Integrations with Amazon, Facebook, Pinterest, Facebook, etc.
- Shopify POS
- Free SSL certificate (even for non-commerce pages)
- Flexible shipping rates
- 100 payment gateways
- Abandoned checkout recovery
- Multiple languages
- Social media integration
- Integration with Dropshippers or Fulfillment Centers
- Discount codes and coupons; Gift cards
- Search engine optimization
- Google Analytics tracking and advanced Reporting tools
- Inventory management
Shopify vs Wix vs Squarespace: SEO Capabilities
The chance that your client will know your store's exact name is low. Therefore, Google ranking is crucial nowadays. What's the point of having a website without visitors? Shopify is a real winner in terms of SEO. SEO capabilities of Wix and Squarespace are a bit restricted. Why is Shopify leading? Because it offers 100% crawlable, clean code customization of page titles, meta descriptions, image alt texts, and a variety of free and paid plugins, that you can find on the official marketplace, designed to boost your positions in Google.
Shopify vs Wix vs Squarespace: Customer Support
All the three solutions offer extensive support. Wix offers users a Help Center with detailed documentation and guides. Additionally, there are lots of video tutorials. If you can not find the answer yourself, it is possible to reach the support team via email, phone or social media channels.
Squarespace and Shopify are a bit more advanced concerning support. Squarespace offers assistance by email and a live chat. Also, there's a vast collection of video tutorials, help guides and webinars.
Shopify provides its customers with professional assistance 24/7 via live chat, phone calls, and emails. You can easily find the required answers in Shopify Help Center and visiting their Forums. Support here is really advanced.
All in all, there is no absolute winner in the battle of Shopify vs Wix vs Squarespace. All three solutions are easy-to-use. The final choice will depend on your business's needs and the goals you are willing to achieve.
Is Shopify or Wix Better?
Shopify is a pure eCommerce platform built with online shopping in mind. It suits the mid- to enterprise size businesses. Wix, on the other hand, is a website builder that may satisfy the needs of small to mid-sized stores. Moreover, this solution is primarily used for the creation of non-profitable web pages.
Shopify vs Wix vs Squarespace. What’s the outcome?
In short, newbies willing to set up and manage small and medium-sized web stores, usually find it comfortable to work with Wix and Squarespace. Shopify, contrastingly, is a go-to for those entrepreneurs searching for deeper web store design customization.
Which is better Squarespace or Wix or Shopify?
The choice between Squarespace, Wix, and Shopify depends on your specific needs and goals. Each platform serves different purposes, so it's essential to consider your priorities before making a decision.
- Ideal for individuals or small businesses looking for an elegant and easy-to-use platform for creating a visually appealing website.
- Offers a variety of stunning templates suitable for portfolios, blogs, and small e-commerce stores.
- Provides good design flexibility and is known for its beautiful, responsive designs.
- May be limited in advanced e-commerce features compared to Shopify but is suitable for small-scale online stores.
Which one is better for you?
If you primarily need a stunning website with minimal e-commerce functionality, Squarespace may be your best choice.
If you want an easy-to-use platform for general website building and have a limited budget, Wix could be a suitable option.
If your main focus is on building and scaling a robust online store with advanced e-commerce features, Shopify is the preferred choice.
It's also worth noting that each platform has its own pricing structure, so consider your budget when making a decision. Additionally, take advantage of free trials to test each platform and determine which one aligns best with your specific requirements and long-term goals.
Is Wix or Shopify better for beginners?
Both Wix and Shopify are user-friendly platforms, but they cater to slightly different needs, which can affect their suitability for beginners:
Wix for Beginners:
- Wix is often praised for its intuitive and beginner-friendly interface. Its drag-and-drop website builder makes it easy for users with no coding experience to create visually appealing websites.
- Wix is suitable for individuals, small businesses, and beginners who want to create a variety of websites, including personal blogs, portfolios, and small online stores.
- It offers a free plan, which can be an attractive option for beginners with a limited budget.
Shopify for Beginners:
- Shopify is designed specifically for e-commerce, making it an excellent choice for beginners looking to start an online store.
- While it may have a steeper learning curve compared to Wix for website building, it offers a comprehensive set of e-commerce features, including inventory management, payment processing, and order tracking.
- Shopify provides dedicated customer support, an extensive knowledge base, and a large community, which can be beneficial for beginners seeking assistance.
In summary, if you're a complete beginner looking to create a basic website or a small online store and prioritize ease of use, Wix may be the better choice. However, if you're a beginner focused on e-commerce and want to build a robust online store with scalability in mind, Shopify is the preferred option, despite the slightly steeper learning curve. Both platforms offer trial periods, so you can explore them and determine which one aligns better with your specific goals and preferences.
Why do people choose Shopify over Wix?
People often choose Shopify over Wix for several specific reasons, depending on their needs and priorities. Here are some of the common factors that lead individuals and businesses to prefer Shopify:
- E-commerce Focus: Shopify is purpose-built for e-commerce, making it a go-to choice for businesses looking to establish and scale online stores. It offers a comprehensive suite of e-commerce features, including inventory management, payment processing, and order tracking, which can be crucial for online retailers.
- Scalability: Shopify is known for its scalability. It caters to businesses of all sizes, from small startups to large enterprises. As a business grows, Shopify can accommodate increased traffic, products, and sales without requiring a platform migration.
- Robust App Store: Shopify has a vast library of third-party apps and integrations available in its app store. This ecosystem allows users to add features and functionality to their online stores easily. Users can find solutions for everything from marketing and analytics to shipping and customer service.
- Security and Reliability: Shopify takes security seriously and offers a level of trust and reliability that appeals to businesses handling sensitive customer data and transactions. It includes SSL certificates, PCI compliance, and automatic updates to enhance security.
- Payment Options: Shopify provides flexible payment options, including its own payment gateway (Shopify Payments) and support for numerous third-party payment processors. This flexibility is essential for businesses looking to offer various payment methods to customers.
While Shopify offers many advantages for e-commerce businesses, it's essential to note that it may have a slightly steeper learning curve compared to Wix, which is designed for more general website building. Ultimately, the choice between Shopify and Wix depends on the specific needs and goals of the individual or business, with Shopify being the preferred choice for those primarily focused on e-commerce.
Is Squarespace better then Wix?
The choice between Squarespace and Wix depends on your specific needs and priorities. Both platforms are popular website builders, but they have different strengths and weaknesses. Here are some factors to consider when deciding which platform is better for you:
- Design and Aesthetics: Squarespace is known for its elegant and visually appealing templates. It's an excellent choice if you prioritize design and want a website that looks professional and modern.
- Ease of Use: Squarespace offers a user-friendly, drag-and-drop interface that makes it relatively easy for beginners to create and customize their websites. It's a good choice if you're not tech-savvy.
- Built-in Features: Squarespace includes essential features such as blogging, e-commerce (for a fee), and analytics. It's suitable for individuals, small businesses, and creative professionals looking for an all-in-one platform.
- Mobile Responsiveness: Squarespace templates are mobile-responsive by default, ensuring that your website looks good on all devices.
- Scalability: While Squarespace can handle small to medium-sized websites well, it may have limitations if you're planning a large, complex site with advanced functionality.
- Versatility: Wix offers a wide range of templates and features, making it versatile for various types of websites, including personal blogs, portfolios, small business sites, and basic e-commerce.
- Ease of Use: Wix's drag-and-drop builder is highly intuitive, making it a great choice for beginners. It offers more creative freedom in terms of design and layout.
- App Market: Wix has an extensive app market with numerous add-ons and integrations, allowing you to expand your website's functionality.
- Pricing: Wix offers a free plan with limited functionality, making it budget-friendly for beginners. However, premium plans with more features are available.
- E-commerce: Wix's e-commerce capabilities are suitable for small online stores. It's a decent option if you plan to sell products online.
In summary, neither platform is definitively "better" than the other. Your choice should be based on your specific needs and priorities. If you prioritize design and a user-friendly interface, and you're willing to pay a bit more for a premium experience, Squarespace might be the better choice. On the other hand, if you want versatility, affordability, and creative freedom, Wix could be the right fit. Ultimately, it's essential to try out both platforms through their free trials to see which one aligns better with your website-building goals.
If you're currently running a store, but wish to switch to another eCommerce solution - with Cart2Cart it is a matter of 3 simple steps. To get more information on migration to Wix follow the link - Wix Migration. If you want to move to Squarespace or Shopify - Squarespace migration and Shopify migration. In addition, a Free Demo is a great opportunity to see how your store will look on new, enhanced platform.
Use your chance to get highly-flexible store just in a few clicks. Start Free Demo and check the advantages of automated switch right away!