When migrating to Shopify, online entrepreneurs often choose customers and orders as one of the most essential store entities that need to be transferred. Read the post to discover some of the available and most popular methods to import customers and orders to Shopify.
Among thousands of performed migrations by Cart2Cart, Shopify has proved to be the leading eCommerce solution that online entrepreneurs choose to migrate TO.
Though the majority of our clients choose to migrate the whole database, there are still merchants or situations when transfer of only some of the store entities is needed. If you’re interested in how to transfer customers and orders to Shopify leaving all the other store data behind, the methods provided below will come in handy for you.
- If products transfer is what you’re looking for, read the post How To Import Products To Shopify and find all the questions answered.
Unfortunately, there’s no way to import customers together with the orders to your new Shopify store unless you’re using the automated tools (like Cart2Cart). You need to transfer them separately and when done, establish the necessary relations between them.
Note: If you’re transferring customers to Shopify manually, their relations with other data entities won't be preserved.
Basically, there are two ways to get around the problem of importing customers to Shopify:
- Import with the help of a CSV file.
- Directly transfer from another store.
Importing Customers to Shopify via CSV
If you want to migrate the customers from your current store to Shopify via CSV-file, you can do that by the following steps:
- Export customers from your current store database.
- Log in to your Shopify admin panel, click Customers > Import customers.
- In the Import Customers By CSV dialog, hit the Add file button, and then find the required CSV file on your computer.
- Click Import customers.
When finished, go into your Shopify admin -> Customers section and check all the migrated data.
Note: The size of the CSV-file shouldn’t exceed 1Mb (more specifically, ~4500 records). Alternatively, you can try using multiple CSV files to import your customers.
Importing Orders to Shopify
When it comes to transferring orders to Shopify, there’s no way to transfer them manually except using the specialized tools (like Cart2Cart).
- For more reasons why so many entrepreneurs all over the world choose Shopify to power their online business - take time to read the post What Makes Shopify the Best eCommerce Platform to Migrate To.
- For a detailed and in-depth tutorial on how to migrate to Shopify, read How To Migrate Your Online Store To Shopify. 2020 Best Practices & Recommendations.
How to Import Customers to Shopify Automatically (Using a SaaS tool)?
If you’ve decided to import your customers along with the orders automatically, you can use the following step-by-step instructions:
Specify the Source cart
- If migrating from a CSV file: set up the CSV as your source, paste the store URL from which the CSV files have been exported.
- If migrating from another eCommerce platform: choose it from the provided list, type in the store’s URL address (if moving from an open-source cart), or the store’s API details (if migrating from a hosted solution).
Note: If you have no access to your source cart or it is not supported, importing customers via CSV-file is a good way out.
Set up the Target cart
From the drop-down list of options choose Shopify as your Target Cart. Once done, click the "Install Plugin" button to proceed with further steps (more info about how to install the app is here).
Choose what to migrate
Since you want to transfer customers and orders only, just click on the corresponding checkboxes.
Run Demo migration
This option allows migrating a limited number of customers and orders to Shopify for you to evaluate how they’ll look on a new platform and how the service works.
Start Full migration
By activating the Start Full Migration button, you’ll launch the customers and orders migration to Shopify.
So, no need to hesitate - import all your customers and orders to Shopify without intensive hands-on right now.
Why Choose Cart2Cart to Import Customers and Orders to Shopify?
Cart2Cart is an innovative eCommerce migration service developed for store data transfer across various shopping carts. The service currently supports 85+ leading shopping carts and has been already used by more than 250.000 merchants. There are no coding skills necessary to work with the service, that makes it a popular choice not only among web developers or designers but also newbies alike.
The following are the key benefits that make online entrepreneurs choose Cart2Cart:
- 24/7 live chat, phone, email support,
- Flexible pricing,
- 100% data security,
- 100% uptime of the current store during the migration,
- Simple migration setup instructions,
- Top migration speed (typically, it takes a few hours),
- FREE Demo migration available.
Overall, the Cart2Cart service is an optimal go-to solution for those e-merchants willing to transfer store data across various platforms automatically.
Hopefully, you’ll find the instructions provided above useful. Just choose the way that’s more suitable for your specific business case and enjoy your new store.
Ready to import the customers and orders to Shopify without intensive hands-on? Cart2Cart has all the necessary functionality to make your store data migration a pleasurable experience.