Modern society is ever-changing, and it is essential to keep up with the latest trends, especially if you’re the owner of an ecommerce store. Thus, it is always hard to decide when it comes to choosing the right solution that would fit your current needs and expectations. It usually happens that businesses outgrow their platforms, and merchants strive for more complex features, broad functionality, and advanced customization options.
Our article is aimed at those who wish to expand their horizons and migrate stores from Wix to WooCommerce. Read on to find out about the easiest and most trouble-free way of data transfer.
Wix vs. WooCommerce. What’s the Difference Between the Two?
Wix is an all-in-one cloud-based platform that allows users to build their store from scratch. It doesn’t require any coding skills and can be used practically by anyone. Thus, one can launch a professionally-looking store with all the necessary features just within a few hours.
WooCommerce is the most popular free WordPress plugin with tons of in-build features and powerful content management capabilities. With 82,115,555 downloads, WooCommerce powers over 28% of all online stores. This solution is perfect for creating sophisticated stores and provides its owners with full flexibility and control.
The main difference between these two solutions is the level of technical skills needed to manage your store. While hosting and tech support are included in all Wix packages, WooCommerce is an open-source plugin and requires you to find hosting and domain, handle updates and maintenance by yourself.
Google Trends show that WooCommerce has better usage coverage and is leading in most countries, whereas Wix is far behind it in all market share segments.
Benefits of Switching from Wix to WooCommerce
Both Wix and WooCommerce have their pros and cons, but if you’ve firmly decided to change your current platform, here’s what you’ll get:
- Exquisite designs and flexibility - with at least minimal coding skills (namely CSS and HTML) and desire to modify templates, you will be able to create the store that would conquer the world. Both free and paid themes can be found on the official WooCommerce store. Additionally, there are thousands of responsive themes online.
- Excellent customization possibilities - this option gives you power over every aspect of an ecommerce store. Thus it is possible to edit just about anything to your specific liking.
- WooCommerce has a lot more extensions than Wix. They are easy to install come in all flavors and sizes. Also, they will add new features and functionality to your store. All the necessary extensions can be downloaded from the official website.
- Better SEO opportunities - there are plenty of plugins that will enhance your WooCommerce store’s SEO (Yoast is the most popular of them).
- In order to be up to date, your future store will get frequent updates.
- You will have the possibility to join its community forum and discuss all the arising questions with its active members.
So, if you wish to expand your store’s functionality, want to have full control over it, and are ready to use your tech skills, perform the migration from Wix to WooCommerce with Cart2Cart. Our automated service will make the replatforming as smooth and hassle-free as possible, with minimum effort on your side. Additionally, you can calculate the cost of migration with our free online estimator.
Migration from Wix to WooCommerce in Stages
Prepare Your WooCommerce Store
We provide clients with two options - they can either register a new WooCommerce account or use our Migration Preview Service (in case they are still not sure whether to switch to WooCommerce or not and want to check how their store will look on another platform). It’s an entirely free option that lets merchants transfer a limited number of data (Demo Migration) from Wix to Cart2Cart’s test store.
Please note that this test store will be available online only for three days!
Install Necessary Plugins
Due to WooCommerce’s peculiarities, it is advisable (but not obligatory) to install some of the plugins before the migration:
- Redirection plugin - to create 301 redirects.
- WordPress.org (free) or WooThemes.com (paid) - to transfer info about manufacturers and images.
Start Wix to WooCommerce Replatforming
- Configure your Wix Cart by copying all the necessary credentials into the corresponding fields.
- Provide the WooCommerce store URL, download Connection Bridge, and upload it to the root folder.
- Choose all the data you wish to move from Wix to WooCommerce store.
- Consider selecting some of the additional options (not mandatory) that will ease the migration process, especially in case you’ve installed the plugins mentioned above:
- Create 301 redirects on your target store after migration.
- Migrate images from products descriptions, categories descriptions and blog posts descriptions.
- Run Free Demo Migration.
- Check the results to ensure that data has been transferred correctly.
- Start Full Migration process.
Once you’ve received the notification that the migration of your store from Wix to WooCommerce had been completed, we suggest you follow these steps:
- Check the performance of your store.
- Install all the necessary extensions from the WooCommerce Site.
- If new data has appeared on your Wix store during or after the migration, you can use our Recent Data Migration Service. It will help you transfer all the entities to the new cart.
Now you are absolutely ready to launch your brand new store and make use of all possibilities that WooCommerce provides! But if you’re still having second thoughts, remember that the only thing a person can ever really do is keep moving forward. Take that big leap forward without hesitation and perform migration from Wix to WooCommerce.