There are many valid reasons why Magento users may want to migrate to Shopify. Magento is well-established in the e-commerce market with tens of thousands of websites using it. Magento is an open-source platform. It doesn’t offer hosting and requires considerable investment in website development.
In addition, since Magento doesn’t offer host, the platform’s users are responsible for their own hosting. That’s why it requires the expertise of someone with solid programming skills, which adds to a shop owner’s costs.
But most of all, it’s the security issues with Magento that worry users, who have complained that their sites are vulnerable to security infringements, like malware, and other attacks. In contrast, Shopify offers top level security, including SSL certificates.
Table of Contents:
- Magento to Shopify migration
- Pre-Migration Tips
- Magento to Shopify Migration
- Post-Migration Recommendations
Magento to Shopify migration
In short, store migration is the process of transferring data, design, and functionality from the existing store to a new store. The process allows merchants to export the database (products, customers, orders, etc.) to the new store and configure the store’s look and feel. Moreover, it allows to install the necessary apps to add functionality.
What is Magento to Shopify Migration?
The eCommerce migration is the transfer of data like products, customers, orders and more from your current Magento store to the new Shopify one. It consists of a few simple steps if done in automated manner, takes only a couple of hours and requires no tech skills.
With Cart2Cart it’s a four-step procedure to migrate Magento (Adobe Commerce) to Shopify. The migration process with preserve your order IDs and SEO, and move all your store data safely.
Watch our step-by-step video tutorial to see how easy it is to automatically migrate from Magento to Shopify with the help of the Cart2Cart migration tool:
Prepare your Magento store
- Get your Magento store ready for the move by auditing all your Magento store data. Audit all the current records of your Magento store. And further, decide what data needs to be edited or deleted.
Prepare your Shopify store
- Get your Shopify store ready. Do this by creating an account at Shopify.com.
Set up the theme for your new store
- Choose a default theme for your Shopify store. Keep the default Shopify store theme you decide on and don’t change it at this stage. You can do that after the migration. If you do any customization at this stage, it might affect the migration process.
Magento to Shopify Migration
Set up Magento to Shopify data transfer by first configuring the Source cart and then specifying the Target cart.
Set up the Source cart
Select Magento from the drop-down menu. When you're done, enter the URL of your web store. Then install Connection Bridge on your Magento to enable data exchange between your stores.
Specify the Target cart
Choose Shopify from the drop-down list and click the “Install Plugin” button and provide your store’s URL.
Select data for migration
You can choose each item you want to transfer or you can select to transfer everything by clicking the “Select All” box. You can transfer orders, customers, products and product categories, manufacturers, coupons, reviews, and CMS pages.
Specify migration extras
Cart2Cart offers many migration extras. For instance, 301 redirects or preservation of product, customer and order IDs on the Target Store and more.
Map customer groups & order statuses
Match your Magento order statuses and fulfillment statuses to the corresponding ones on Shopify.
Launch a free Demo migration. For this, first transfer 10 products in 15 minutes so you can check that the transfer works as you envisaged.
Start Full migration
Click the Start Full Migration button to start the Full Magento database transfer to your new Shopify store. When it’s completed, check the migration results and start business on your new platform.
- Make sure the website migration succeeded. Test the whole shopping process by creating a test product and placing and order. After that, select shipping and payment options and check that everything works perfectly.
- Make full use of the vast array of Shopify apps and extend the functionality of your new store.
- Now you can go ahead and customize your store to look the way you want.
- Notify your customers that your store operates from a new platform and invite them to activate their accounts.
Congratulations! You have successfully transferred your store to Shopify. Enjoy the new experience!