Choosing the right platform for your business is no less important than choosing the right niche for it. Sometimes it happens that the e-store outgrows its current platform, and merchants strive for more advanced functionality. That is where the concept of replatforming comes in. Luckily, the world of today is full of solutions that would suit even the most exquisite tastes of entrepreneurs. So, making a change is easier than ever. Today we’ll talk about BigCommerce to WooCommerce migration and provide you with the most comprehensive guide on how to perform it with a minimum of fuss. Read on!
BigCommerce vs. WooCommerce. Introduction
BigCommerce is a hosted all-in-one eCommerce platform. It provides its users with a full array of all the necessary services - hosting, design, management, and marketing tools, SEO, security, and supported payment gateways. BigCommerce is an ideal starting point for small businesses. Basically, to establish a store, one needs to purchase an eligible pricing plan. Although, when online retail begins to grow in the number of products and customers, the solution may lack customization features.
WooCommerce, on the contrary, is a free eCommerce plugin for WordPress. It is considered to be the most scalable and customizable cart. Due to its open-source nature, WooCommerce requires a domain and a separate web-hosting provider. Thus, you are free to choose the most suitable ones and are not tied up to a limited list of options. Even though the solution has a bit steep learning curve, it provides users with all the necessary tools for running a successful online store. WooCommerce suits both small to enterprise-level businesses.
If we check the statistics, the WooCommerce is an absolute winner here. At the moment, it powers 3,876,748 live websites (26% of an overall market share), whereas the number of BigCommerce websites is 45,931 (3% of a total market share).
Reasons for BigCommerce to WooCommerce Migration
BigCommerce and WooCommerce both have their strong and weak sides. The choice of the future platform primarily depends on the level of your tech expertise, budget estimates, and individual preferences. In case your store has already surpassed the functionality of BigCommerce, and you are currently considering WooCommerce as your destination point, here’s the list of its benefits:
- Completely free solution without monthly fees and any hidden costs or charges
- Wide range of both free and paid themes and plugins (including the 3rd party ones)
- Seamless WordPress integration gives access to the numerous WP extensions, themes, and tutorials
- Unique customization features are achieved through direct access to the code via browser and FTP. Therefore, it is possible to add, remove and edit scripts according to one’s personal preferences
- Support of numerous payment gateways
- Large support community with lots of study guides, ebooks, and developer-friendly docs
- Reporting tools make it easy to monitor all the key business metrics from the WP Admin
How to Migrate from BigCommerce to WooCommerce?
BigCommerce to WooCommerce migration can be performed in several possible ways. Still, an automated approach is regarded to be the most popular one, as it requires minimal human involvement and no tech expertise. Transferring data with the assistance of services like Cart2Cart, helps you save not only money but time and energy.
If you want to get an eye-bird view of the whole migration process, watch our video tutoral:
So, if you wish to move data from BigCommerce to WooCommerce store automatedly, we recommend you to follow these simple steps:
Review the BigCommerce Store
It is essential to go through your store, check the relevance and correctness of all the data, and delete everything that is outdated and no longer needed. Also, even though Cart2Cart doesn’t remove any of the store’s information, we advise you to save it to any of the internal devices.
Additionally, you may calculate the price of the given replatforming using our Migration Estimator.
Configure the WooCommerce Store
Create a WordPress account, download the WooCommerce Plugin, and install it.
If you haven’t made the final decision concerning your future platform, try the Migration Preview Service and transfer a limited amount of data to Cart2Cart’s test store. But, please, note that it will be available online only for three days.
Simplify your migration process with the Cart2Cart: BigCommerce to WooCommerce Migration plugin.
Set up Source & Target Carts
To configure your Target Cart, select BigCommerce from the pop-up menu. Provide its URL and other required credentials (client ID, access token, and API path). Please, read our FAQ for further details.
Next, choose WooCommerce as your Target Cart, copy all the necessary information (admin URL, login and password) to the respective fields and proceed to the further stage by clicking the “Choose entities” button.
Select the Desired Data Entities
Now you have to decide which data will be moved from BigCommerce to the WooCommerce store. Tick the “Select all” box or choose from the list of supported entities:
- Products (reviews, categories, manufacturers, taxes)
- Customers (orders)
- Blogs (posts)
Explore Additional Migration Options
At this stage, you’re offered an opportunity to make the migration process even more comfortable by choosing some of the advanced settings (this step is non-compulsory):
- It is possible to redirect products and categories URLs from your current store to the future one with the help of “Create 301 redirects on your target store after migration” option. But keep in mind that migration to the WooCommerce requires the installment of a free plugin - “Redirection.”
- Also, you can preserve your BigCommerce store order IDs by choosing the “Preserve order IDs on Target Store” option and installing the additional free WooCommerce Sequential Order Number extension.
Perform Data Mapping
The next step in the Migration Wizard is data mapping. It will assist you in matching the BigCommerce order statuses and customer groups to the corresponding ones on the WooCommerce store. More info can be found here.
Also, bear in mind that order statuses mapping requires you to set up the free YITH WooCommerce Custom Order Status plugin before the migration.
Start Demo Migration
This stage is also optional, but we recommend you not to skip it. The Demo Migration is entirely free and lets you move up to 30 data entities from the BigCommerce store to the WooCommerce in just 30 minutes. Hence, you will try the service in action and will be able to check how your store looks on a new platform.
Another essential thing to keep in mind - do not close your browser window while the data transfer is still in process.
Continue with the Full Migration
If the Demo Migration results lived up to your expectations, do not hesitate to run a Full migration of your store from BigCommerce to WooCommerce. It is safe to close your browser window now and return to the ordinary business activities.
Once you’ve received an email notification that the Full migration of your store is finished, feel free to:
- Go through your store and check it for the standard errors, register new users, carry out test shopping.
- Enhance its overall look and productivity by installing WooCommerce themes and extensions.
- Transfer all the new data (in case it has occurred on the BigCommerce store during the replatforming) with the help of our Recent Data Migration service.
Usually, things like store transfer seem impossible until they are done. Remember, a human being can move mountains, especially with the right tools at hand. So, stop losing time, perform BigCommerce to WooCommerce migration, and improve your eCommerce business.